Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Expresso My Opinion Goes International

The international festival was held on November 13 presenting different cultures around the world. I went to many different booths as I was there. With numerous booths, it made it difficult to visit them all, but I went Japan, Brazil, and Nepal booths. I found each booth to be really fascinating overall. Especially, the food that were given at each one.
                The University of Central Oklahoma states this as why they do this event each year. “Every fall UCO's international student population comes together in a celebration to share their culture through displays of food, crafts, art, and performing talents. This is one of the most anticipated events on campus for both the UCO community and the metropolitan community.”
                The experience as a whole was really fascinating. As soon as you entered the building you could smell the different foods that had been cooked; with seas of people in the ballroom at the University of Central Oklahoma it is obvious that there is a real appreciation for the different culture at the university.
                What stood out most to me was the fact that everyone on campus seemed to be there, and that they seemed to enjoy each second. Along with the food was performances. The options were endless to the booths you could go too. With free drinks and free food, it seemed to be irresistible to those who were near the campus.
                I focused most of my time with the booth dealing with Nepal. The international student that I spoke to gave me a deeper appreciation for the country and the culture itself. As the first in his family to attend college he found America very intriguing. As a native to Nepal he learned his town’s native tongue, along with English, and the countries language too.
               Kukri is the country sword. The sword is curved inward and more of a machete. Another symbol of the country was the ringing bowl, a bowl that is similar in sound to the regular hand bell that we use to call and make music with.

                The Nepal food is really actually sweet. The native dish consists of rice and spices. Chatpata was the rice they served, it reminded me a lot of Spanish rice. Which I love. Another dish was a yogurt and raisin desert type dish, which was really sweet.

                What I personally took away from this event was the fact that even though you might live in a box, you should try to step away from it once in a while. To get to try new food, and experience a diverse world outside of the one I live in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment