Thursday, October 9, 2014

Expresso My Opinion Reporting on the UCO Media Ethics Conference


Today I drank my coffee while going to the Media Conference at the University of Central Oklahoma. Blogging, I feel, is very much associated with Public Relations, because it lets those who are practitioners of public relations to be able to relate to those they are in the community with.  At the conference it dealt with ethical dilemmas that those in the business face.
 
There was multiple speakers at the event. The lecture I attended had prominent speakers from diverse areas of the field.

 Two of my professors were there. Dr. Lambeth and Dr. Martin. There was also Rob Crissinger from Bumbershoot PR, Liz Johnson from the Academy of Contemporary Music, and Joshua Watson a professor at OC.

The panel was a diverse group that brought some interesting topics up, such as photography issues and grouping with partners.

What I took away from this conference was that you should always look at what the long term impact of your actions will be. Always look to your publics.

Consider what the reaction will be of those who are seeing this and are your publics. Take in the feedback, and watch out for backlash. When in unethical situation stand up for what you believe to be right.

The ending remarks were the most memorable to me, the panel’s advice to the students who attended. The one that stuck in my mind the most was from Rob Crissinger from Bumbershoot PR.
 
A Preview for Next Week
He presented the idea of “always putting others first” when trying to become successful. That you never really know who the next CEO might be, and it could be the intern, or any other member of the team.

 In the end everyone has value. I felt very honored to have listened to such a diverse, but knowledgeable group.
To read more about the Media Ethics Conference visit  the UCO website
http://www.uco.edu/la/ethicsconference/         

No comments:

Post a Comment